Dynamips Server on way to begin CCIE training

These past two days have been a pain in my ass with these Quad NICS. I have had some moments were I have raged on networking equipment or machines but I have never been so frustrated. Long story short with older quad NICS some will show up as one MAC address for four NICS. So of course Fedora(Dynamips OS) Freaks out on its ifconfig and gives it 4 interfaces with the same MAC for example…

eth8-eth7 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:03:BA:6D:76:AA
eth6-eth7 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:03:BA:6D:76:AA
eth5-eth7 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:03:BA:6D:76:AA
eth7 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:03:BA:6D:76:AA

after days of dropping the drive, manually adding mac addresses, not loading the driver in the Kernel I just about decided to just purchase another few. I was extremely lucky I found out a place that has 4 of them needed. They happened to have the Sun 501-4366. I found that the Sun quad NICs with a Intel chipset work great, I am even running a 64 bit OS Fedora Core 14 without any issues. So these other NICs I purchase I put the first one in and it worked…. I really did not want to test the other 3 I was just happy it worked.

So I have everything plugged in from each one of my nics according to the following topology from INE.

INE topology

Here is what it looks like in my new place.
My topology

Here is my cost sheet.

Total Cost

Dynamips Server

AMDX4 3.2ghz
8gb DDR RAM
2TB Hard drive
3xQuad Nic Sun 501-4366 NICS(would not recommend)

Mobo – > BIOSTAR A770E3 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard – > 79.99

PS – > hec XPOWER780 600W(780W Peak) ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI NVIDIA HYBRID-SLI Certified CrossFire Certified Active PFC Power Supply – > 59.99

CPU – > AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX – > 159.99

Case – > HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid Tower Computer Chassis Gaming Case w/ Front Blue LED 120mm Fan & Top 120mm Fan – > 59.99

Memory – > G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ – > 99.99

2TB drive – > 99.99

SUN 501-4366 Quad NICS – > initnially purchased 3 2 worked, then purchased 4 more I spent 100 total for all 7. – > 100

———————————–

$659.99

Network Gear

Cisco 2511/w 2 octal cables – > local Craigslist add 6 months ago purchased this for $125
4x3550s – > All ebay deals purchased each for 125 shipped 4×125 = 500
100 feet of cable + 75 RJ45’s = home depot ftw!! 20 for the cable 16 for 75 RJ45s = 36

————————————

661

Total:1320.99

Advertisements
Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Comments

• Logan  On May 26, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Why wouldn’t you recommend the Sun 501-4366?

Is “[T]hese past two days have been a pain in my ass with these Quad NICS” in reference to the Sun 501-4366? If so, how did purchasing more Sun 501-4366s resolve the MAC issue?

Last, do you know if the Sun 501-4366 will work on any Windows systems?

Thanks a bunch–in the process of researching my own CCIE lab.

• danielhertzberg  On May 27, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Logan,

If you read about the problems I faced in the entire paragraph it will tell you. These will only work on Unix/Linux OS’s. They have 4 interfaces which should give you 4 unique mac addresses but, the OS does not see that it sees 4 identical mac addresses and makes really weird interfaces. Some cards do that, some do not depending on if they do or do not have the Intel chipset.

• kveri  On April 23, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Hello,
        I just bought 4 of these cards (with one original manual) and one of those cards have all MAC addresses same, so I just changed them using ethtool/ip command and it works. Manual says it could work in switched mode, I suspect that’s the issue. But it’s working correctly.

Martin

• Mariano  On July 19, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Congratulations!
    I’m trying to build a similar lab infrastructure.
    Please, could you specify which 3550 you are using? SMI/EMI? 48/24? I cannot see it clearly in the photo.

• Chuck Brantley  On January 31, 2012 at 10:34 pm

What OS are you using? I had a Ubuntu 10.10 box with the Sun cards in them, and everytime I connected a quad card, the system came to a screeching halt and would lock up…

I see you are running over 2G of ram….are you having any issues with the connections?

• danielhertzberg  On February 1, 2012 at 6:09 am

Fedora 14, nope Im not sure why I would have any issues its a AMD phenom II X4 with 16gb of ram.

• Chuck Brantley  On February 1, 2012 at 8:34 am

Not saying you should have issues, but there are articles online saying these cards don’t work with more than 2G of ram. I was trying to figure out if I was having kernel issues or hitting the memory issue. I will try to load Fedora on my box and see if I can get them to work. Did you have a problem with interface numbering or them changing upon reboot?

Thanks

• danielhertzberg  On February 1, 2012 at 8:45 am

Nopes, in RHEL distros (fedora,Centos) I never had a problem… I really only run Fedora for the most part. It should create a file within /etc/sys-interfaces/ and keep the eth0-12 interfaces like they are. If you run into any issues feel free to ask.